[sugar] trying to run under OS X parallels

Dan Williams dcbw
Sun Apr 8 21:09:47 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 18:08 -0500, Michael Tobis wrote:
> I am trying to install the emulator (build 385) under Parallels (build
> 1940) on OS 10.4.9 on an Intel iMac. I get tantalizingly close
> following the instructions at
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_emulation
>
> (to which I would only add that setting the VM to autostart and
> full-screen mode seems to get things just a tiny bit further.)
>
> I see the initial splash page, Linux boots fine, but I never get sent
> back to a GUI. I can login as root, and it sort of works as a console
> (the display goes black every few seconds). it also appears that the
> DISPLAY environment variable is not set for what that's worth.

Apparently X is not starting correctly.  To diagnose that, we need a
log.  So log in as root.  Then let X die and try to restart.  When it
dies again, quickly type 'init 3' at the root shell to stop X.

Then grab /var/log/Xorg.0.log and attach that to a bug report in trac on
dev.laptop.org.

Dan