[sugar] FW: Touchpad XO

Ka-Ping Yee laptop
Thu Apr 5 17:22:45 EDT 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Mary Lou Jepsen wrote:
> The idea was simply to have labels
[...]
> Unlabeled right and left hand mouse buttons are ambiguous.
[...]
> What are better labels?  It may be too late for B3 - but please suggest
> something that's easy to convey to the kid

I feel pretty much the same on this: I'm not wedded to the specific
labels used, but I do consider it a priority to choose something with
an obvious and recognizable description, which is a positive aspect
of the 'X' and 'O' chosen so far.  If we can do better, great.  Ideally
it ought to be easy to give instructions about which button to press:

    - verbally over a voice-only link (should be obvious what to say
        and obvious what is meant when you hear it)
    - in UI text onscreen
    - in UI graphics
    - in webpages
    - in printed documentation

Another thing worth keeping in mind is what the user should use for
left and right mouse buttons when the laptop is in handheld mode.

-- ?!ng