[sugar] Python: distutils, setuptools, packages, etc

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Sep 28 13:39:14 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 11:56 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > Is there a simple, well written setup.py you would suggest to look at to
> > get an idea of how it might look for an activity? Also trying to
> > actually write something like
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial (the code, not the
> > tutorial) using setuptools could really be interesting.
>
> Whew, those instructions are tricky.  My impression is that you create a
> source layout like:
>
>    MyCode/
>      mycode/__init__.py
>      mycode/mycode.activity
>      mycode/the_actual_code.py
>
> And I guess ultimately "sugar-setup-activity mycode/mycode.activity" is
> called?
>
> Anyway, with setuptools you'd add:
>
>    MyCode/
>      setup.py
>      setup.cfg
>
> The setup.py file would look like:
>
>    from setuptools import setup, find_packages
>
>    setup(
>      name='MyCode',
>      ... version, description, long description, etc (optional) ...
>      packages=find_packages(),
>      include_package_data=True,
>      install_requires=['List of package names'],
>      )
>
> The options in setup.cfg are basically defaults for any commands like
> "python setup.py install" or commands.  It may not be necessary.
>
> Then when you run "python setup.py bdist_egg" (which creates an egg:
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs) you'll get a zip
> file that looks like:
>
>    MyCode-version.egg/
>      EGG-INFO/
>        PKG-INFO (description, etc)
>        requires.txt (from install_requires.txt)
>        some other package metadata...
>      mycode/
>        __init__.py
>        __init__.pyc
>        mycode.activity
>        the_actual_code.py
>        the_actual_code.pyc
>
> This egg file can be "activated" by putting it on sys.path.  There's
> been talk about egg "baskets", being a collection of eggs that make up a
> complete application with its dependencies (akin to bundles), but no
> particular work on it.

Take a look at the activity bundle proposal:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_Bundles

It's important to note that this is not _only_ for python.  But for
activities, we really, really want to have a single layout that's in a
single directory, and may be easily archived & compressed for transport.
We also want bundles that are signed, like JARs, to ensure integrity.

The idea is that as long as the activity (whether in Python, C, C++, or
whatever) follows the bundle format, we don't care what it does
internally for its structure.

Eggs sound like this, but since they don't appear to work for non-python
code, we probably can't make them the actual bundle format.  You could
obviously us an egg _inside_ a bundle though.

Also note that we may very well make the activity directory read-only
and enforce that.  Activities should _NOT_ expect to be able to write to
their own directory, but instead should store their state elsewhere, in
a Sugar-provided area or in the storage framework which Ivan is doing.

Dan