[sugar] Sugar Python environment

Ian Bicking ianb
Thu Sep 28 12:15:20 EDT 2006

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 10:55 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>> Dan Williams wrote:
>>> I think it is quite possible.  However, you'd probably need a new system
>>> dbus config file, if nothing else.  But here's the interesting part: how
>>> does libdbus talk to the system bus?  I don't know whether the path to
>>> the system bus' Unix domain socket is hardcoded in libdbus at build
>>> time, or what.  We can certainly change the location of the system bus
>>> daemon's socket in system.conf, but I'm unsure how to point libdbus
>>> there.  It's not an environment variable like the session bus AFAIK.
>> The docs specifically mentioned that the location of the system bus is
>> hardcoded, but you can still override it with an environmental variable.
>>   (It didn't mention what that variable was, but this was just in the
>> tutorial.)
>
> Ok, in that case, we need to build our own D-Bus and our own libdbus,
> and change the location of the socket.  That seems like a really odd
> road to go down.  I don't think we want to start duplicating the entire
> system inside jhbuild, and system dbus would probably be where I draw
> the line.  That way leads to pain with little benefit :)

Well, I guess the original thing was to build our own Python.  And if we
build Python 2.5 and the host doesn't have Python 2.5 installed or the
Python 2.5 libdbus bindings installed, then we have to compile those.
And they have to match the system's dbus version.

At some point we could just go to Xen and do a realistic installation of
the complete system.  Ivan mentioned using that for testing
laptop-to-laptop communication anyway.  But I have no idea how much work
is involved in setting that up.