[sugar] Python: distutils, setuptools, packages, etc

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Thu Sep 28 04:00:22 EDT 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> There will be activities wrote in C, or activities based on
>> application already using auto*. Getting these to use distutils would
>> not be productive (if possible at all).
>
> Agreed.
>
>> But we are going to have documentation on how to write activities and
>> bless a build system for activities that are written from scratch in
>> python (which should be the most common case). setuptools might be a
>> good candidate for this. It would be positive to think and experiment
>> in this direction. We want to be really easy to write activities. And
>> I would never put auto* and really easy in the same phrase :)
>
> I envision *a* process for building a new app/bundle/activity that was
> pure-Python to be:
>
> * Create a proper setup.py (a fairly simple file)
> * Maybe add a few settings to setup.cfg
> * Run "python setup.py olpc_bundle"
>
> And then you'll get a bundle, which I imagine will be a directory with
> a few eggs (both your package, and any non-standard dependencies) and
> some metadata taken from setup.cfg (whatever ends up in the bundle
> spec). The setup.py file itself will probably just be a normal
> setup.py file like people currently write.

Is there a simple, well written setup.py you would suggest to look at to
get an idea of how it might look for an activity? Also trying to
actually write something like
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial (the code, not the
tutorial) using setuptools could really be interesting.

Marco