[sugar] Sugar Python environment

Ian Bicking ianb
Wed Sep 27 15:26:46 EDT 2006

I'm thinking that the Sugar jhbuild should probably use
virtual-python.py: http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/virtual-python.py

Alternately (and particularly if OLPC goes to Python 2.5), Python should
be built as part of the build process.  virtual-python basically
symlinks Python so it doesn't pick anything up from the global
installation.  It's like building a custom Python, but faster since it
doesn't actually build anything.

Then instead of relying on $PYTHONPATH to control the environment, using
build/bin/python will use the custom environment.  (And of course,
having that directory first on $PATH will make "python" work as well.)

Would building 100% of the OLPC software be prohibitive (either to build
the software, or setup the build process)?  That would then give us a
completely accurate system and process.

Almost unrelatedly, I think Python 2.5's enhanced generators
(http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0342/) could be syntactically
appealing for doing async DBUS messages.  I just mention this as another
point in 2.5's favor, and because it occurred to me just now.