[sugar] Interesting interface

Alan Kay alan.kay
Sat Sep 23 16:46:48 EDT 2006

I like this direction. It is how the original Xerox PARC and Star UIs
were designed (and how the current Squeak Etoys are set up) as a
reflection of some of the real implications of having objects:
namely, you should be able to mix and match all objects (including
user-created ones) on a DTP-like substrate, and "windows" are just
objects with boundaries drawn around them (and vice versa).

(It was unfortunate that both Apple and MS forced the old
"application and files" approach on the newer object and UI ideas.)

One of the interesting implications of this approach is that the
single "desktop" in most modern UIs becomes "multiple persistent
documents where work and play get done". And this leads to a kind of
"SuperDuperHyperCard" like model that is also a better way to think
about the web and web authoring.

Here are two white papers about Etoys. The first is about how we use
them to help children learn powerful ideas. The second has some of
our media experiments in the Etoy system. All of these are best
printed out in color and read on paper.

A. Kay, "Squeak Etoys, Children & Learning," Available at:
<http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_learning.pdf>http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_learning.pdf
A. Kay, "Squeak Etoys Authoring & Media, Available at:
<http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_authoring.pdf>http://www.squeakland.org/pdf/etoys_n_authoring.pdf

Right now Etoys runs as an app on OLPC, but it would be better to
have a Python-based version of this kind of integration as the
fundamental basis for doing things on the little machine.

Cheers,

Alan