[sugar] memory and cpu profiling

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Sat Sep 16 04:25:17 EDT 2006

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to work on reducing the memory and cpu footprint of the
> laptop's software.
>
> Could someone point me some low-hanging fruit, available tools and
> expected procedure (if any)?

Hi,

do you have a board? In my experience running sugar on a developer board
is pretty easy to find out performance issues. I never really profiled
memory usage but it's definitely something we need to do.

I don't think there is documentation on tools/procedures. Maybe  someone
on the list can correct me.

I found a lot of interesting posts by Federico about it on his blog:
http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/news.html

Also quite relevant a bug posted recently on olpc devel:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/83

I hope this gives you a starting point. I think figuring out the most
relevant issues and document the procedures on the wiki would be a great
contribution.

Thanks,
Marco