[sugar] "Newbie" question

Dan Williams dcbw
Sun Sep 10 08:21:28 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 15:13 -0400, Owen Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 11:23 -0700, MBurns wrote:
> > On 9/9/06, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpg at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > gtk 2.10... Was this before compiling gtk successfully?
> > >
> > > Marco
> > >

> > I believe I was quitting out of the build on earlier modules before
> > getting to this step.
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gtk going to already be installed
> > on this machine? To have things like gnome running, gtk is already
> > required, no? Maybe I misunderstand something.
> >
> > Doing some yum searches, it does appear that I have gtk2 package
> > version 2.8 installed. Is there a preferred place to get 2.10, then,
> > seeing as it won't show up in my yum updates?
>
> Sugar has customized versions of all of the GNOME packages, so you can't
> just use your regular operating system versions.  Therefore all of the
> modules have to build successfully in order for sugar to work.

Well, not so much customized as just Sugar requires newer versions that
most distributions support.  Besides that, having everybody build the
_same_ versions of software with sugar-jhbuild means we don't have to
waste time chasing down the differences between 10 different point
releases to 10 different packages and where they are installed and what
each vendor did.  So it's a support issue too.

Dan