[sugar] Integration with web apps (and Moodle specifically!)

Bert Freudenberg bert
Wed Sep 6 10:55:39 EDT 2006

Brett Cannon schrieb:
> Basically I am making sure that Python, at the interpreter level (of
> which there can be several in a single process), can be sandboxed so
> that they don't harm the OS or other interpreters.
 >
> My hope is to come up with an interpreter that could run code uploaded
> by a random user to a web page without any worries of the system being
> harmed.  Hopefully that is enough to let kids experiment without
> destroying their machines.

That's how Squeak's VM-level sandboxing works, too. Before loading
untrusted content we enter sandbox-mode, which is a one-way switch. We
use that for Etoys for a couple of years now at squeakland.org.

For those unfamiliar with Etoys - it's a graphic programming environment
for kids built in Squeak. While simple on the surface, you can actually
get to the underlying Smalltalk system which is a full programming
environment.

I just started working on VM-level Sugar integration for Squeak. Others
have been working at content-level for quite a while already.

- Bert -