[sugar] Integration with web apps (and Moodle specifically!)

Ivan Krstić krstic
Sun Sep 3 00:35:33 EDT 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> By "system-wide", do you mean global, country, or school-wide?

I meant operating-system level. Any application will be able to use a
stable API to verify and issue a digsig; each kid will have an
(obviously) unique keypair.

This provides an emergent PKI based on key continuity management (KCM);
it's PKI minus all the really ugly bits that make PKI not work in normal
situations, basically.

> Something like a client-side SSL certificate

Certificates are complex and difficult to manage, and would reintroduce
the ugly PKI bits from above that I'm working hard to avoid. But
functionally, we'll still be able to do encryption and authentication
where it makes sense.

> So, if one child is connecting to a laptop they have
> connected to before, they can be identified without a connection to any
> centralized certificate authority.

This is KCM, so yes.

--
Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D