[sugar] Integration with web apps (and Moodle specifically!)

Ivan Krstić krstic
Sat Sep 2 23:40:41 EDT 2006

[I'm answering only the identity/web server questions; Chris et al can
answer the Sugar-related ones.]

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> - Identity mgmt. How does the OS deal with user accounts, student
> identities and is there any way to assert that identity to a server?

Identity will be detailed in an upcoming spec, but the basic idea is
that there will be an API to a system-wide identity service that can
verify and issue digital signatures.

> Will teachers have an OLPC machine of some kind?

Yes.

> Will it be different? Perhaps better suited for a webserver?

The hardware will be the same. The children's machines will already run
a web server, albeit one that can only execute Python code. But we're
planning to have a server in each school with more storage and such. In
small schools, the server is likely to be a laptop with a specialized
external hard drive; we're not sure about bigger schools yet, but I
imagine those might be ones where you'd have enough firepower to run a
thick web server and e.g. PHP.

> Most of this belongs to a web-app framework for OLPC. Either there is
> one for me to use... or there's a task for me to build one ;-)

We're building one. The only supported language on the machines is
Python, though, so that won't be helpful with the existing Moodle codebase.

--
Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D