[sugar] First time Sugar user's experiences

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Mon Oct 30 12:16:42 EST 2006

On 10/30/06, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It works well, hitting the edges of the screen, but there is one caveat
> > I have. When for example moving the mouse to the right side of the
> > screen, then the frame appears, fine. Then I wish to press a button that
> > is a the top side of the screen. I move the mouse to that button, and
> > guess what happens: the frame disappears and the buttons too. Is it
> > therefore possible to make a delay on disappearance also? The delay
> > should be long enough to allow for the movement of any position along
> > the edge of the screen to any icon on the frame. I think this improves
> > the quality of the user experience.

I think a short delay would certainly be a useful thing in terms of
making the frame a bit more forgiving, and would allow you to jump
across the corners without losing the frame.  Ultimately, though, I
see this more as a way of preventing accidental frame retraction if
the mouse jumps outside the frame when moving along any given edge
than a means of getting to any button elsewhere in the frame.  After a
very short learning curve, I would expect kids to know exactly where
the button they want to hit is, and simply go to that edge of the
screen to get to it in the first place.  The consistent organization
of the frame elements is intended to make this spacial recollection
possible.

- Eben