[sugar] First time Sugar user's experiences

Teus Benschop teus
Mon Oct 30 11:40:13 EST 2006

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Teus Benschop wrote:
>> Probably a simple question, but why is the terminal not made an activity
>> like the other ones, to be activated by clicking on an icon? The
>> terminal now seems to be treated specially, because it has a special
>> shortcut key, the F6 key. Any reasons for that? I suppose that kids
>> probably like using the terminal like all the other activities.
>
> As it is now I consider the terminal activity just a debugging aid.
> Personally I don't think we should have terminal activity exposed in
> the sugar UI. I can't think of any use case that couldn't be covered
> better by a GUI activity.
Well, hmm, that probably is the case in an ideal world, ideal in the
sense that software writers are going to stick to Sugar's handling of
activities. But we're going to use the OLPC for other computing tasks in
Africa, where the main thing is not gui, but that there is no power. The
applications we would need to install on the OLPC can be moved to the
OLPC without converting it into an activity, and can so be started
through the command line. It would save us some work so we won't need to
convert it into an activity. And probably there will be plenty others as
well who are going to use it that way...  I personally would like it
kept in.

Teus.