[sugar] First time Sugar user's experiences

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Mon Oct 30 11:16:22 EST 2006

Teus Benschop wrote:
> Eben Eliason wrote:
>>> This is the Frame, which allows access to launching other icons, seeing
>>> what other buddies are around and participating in your activities,
>>> activating the overlay, etc.  It's part of the interface.  Perhaps it
>>> needs more discoverability...
>>
>> Perhaps we should disable the ability to toggle it on permanently with
>> the hotkey, if that makes things confusing and makes the underlying
>> interface unusable.  Instead, tapping the key once could pop it out
>> for a predefined interval of, say, 3 seconds, whereas holding the key
>> would keep it in view until the key is released.  Thoughts?
>>
> Yea, the couple of seconds, that sounds as a good solution to me. But
> the disadvantage will that on startup the icons disappear and the
> first-time user doesn't know the hotkey yet to call it up. So how is
> he going to start his activities?

You can also hit the screen edges (0.5 delay) or corners (immediate) to
get the frame back. Also on the olpc keyboard there will be a special
key for this not FC5.

IHMO we can't aim for full discoverability in this case, but key + edges
and a first time intro should be good enough.

Marco