[sugar] penguintv progress on sugar

Owen Williams ywwg
Thu Oct 26 12:15:39 EDT 2006

I've been adapting my RSS aggregator PenguinTV for use in Sugar.  My
goal is to have one codebase that can serve as both a regular GNOME
application and an OLPC activity, and that the program can adapt itself
at runtime depending on the environment.

Right now I can autodetect gconf, lucene, and gstreamer, and change
behavior based on whether these exist or not.  For instance, if I don't
have gconf I store all my settings in my sqlite database.

I've attached a screenshot of what penguintv looks like under sugar at
the moment.  There are some theme bugs, like black text on the dark
toolbar and ugly icons, but I assume that will be fixed later.

Right now the biggest problem I have is that pycurl is not available on
olpc, and I'll have to figure out how to bundle it with my application.
It's a small library but is extremely important for downloading large
files over the internet.  It supports http redirects and resume, and
there's nothing in the gnome stack that provides this functionality
transparently.

It would also be nice to have pyLucene available on the platform, but
it's not necessary.

Otherwise, the program is working fine.  There's really not a big
difference between a regular GNOME environment and sugar.  All I have to
pay attention to is that I don't have a GnomeApp window to work with.
But other than that, gtk is gtk :)

owen