[sugar] Logo

Samuel Härgestam samuel.hargestam
Tue Oct 24 13:36:37 EDT 2006

a) I'm writing it because after asking lots of people what Logo tutorial(s)
would be included, nobody seemed to know, and the suggestions I saw didn't
instill confidence.

b) It will not be very different from a "normal" Logo tutorial. However, I
am writing it specifically for OLPC, so some of the problems that might
surface with other tutorials/books will hopefully not become issues in this
case. For example, I have tried to make it as culture agnostic as possible,
both in text and illustrations (which, by the way, are being done by a
talented children's book author), as easy to translate as possible, designed
to be read on-screen, and aimed solely at children. It will, however, be
very basic. It focuses on moving the turtle around and drawing simple
shapes. More advanced concepts are treated lightly or not at all. It is
designed to give children a first, very gentle, introduction to programming
concepts, so that they can build up the courage needed to approach "real"
programming texts.

c) Once it's finished I will try to get it translated into the target
languages, and thereafter hopefully included on some or all shipments of the
laptop, or at least in the online repository. I will also put it on the web.
Other than that, there are no more goals. I don't plan on trying to get it
published in paper form.

I'm working with FMSLogo 6.10, but I expect to change all example code so
that it will run on the OLPC Logo distribution when it's decided which one
that will be. If the JS implementation of Logo that Kay & Co. have been
working on will be finished enough I might use that one, as I could then
embed the environment in the tutorial itself. There are advantages to a
stand alone environment also. In short, this is still undecided.