[sugar] Re: Ebook content on the laptop?

MBurns maburns
Mon Oct 23 17:36:24 EDT 2006

(apologies for replying to myself and dual-posting to the lists. Poor
netiquette, I know.)

As a followup to my earlier questions:

I want to again ask about the process for getting articles/ebooks onto the
Laptop. There is a professor who would be willing to donate an Introduction
to Python Programming manuscript he has written, so I would like to help him
along that path as much as possible.

The Laptop will have a custom doc format for saving files and reading
ebooks, from what I've heard. A slew of question pop to my head:

*Can the OLPC provide a wiki that hosts this content and let the public work
on it? Presumably being able to export and use the custom markup style.

*What is the application process for people willing to donate works to the
project? What categories of content wish to be filled? This seems to be
loosely equivalent to writing documentation for other Open Source projects,
and I am sure many people would be willing to contributed. Where can they
find out how to help or what smaller(ish) projects can they take on to
lighten the load of the developers.

*As mentioned somewhere, Project Gutenberg could make use of this format.
Will there be a parsing/reformatting script that will be able to automate
that? Is there a need for one that someone should write?

Lots of question, I know, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks for any
feedback.

--
Michael Burns
Oregon State University