[sugar] Squeak / Etoys RPMs (

Ken Ritchie ken.ritchie
Fri Oct 20 08:09:04 EDT 2006

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 16:27 -0400, Ivan Krsti? wrote:
>
>> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>>
>>> http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/02/its_the_stupid.html
>>>
>> This has nothing to do with low-level bits.
>>

> No, it has a lot to do with them.  The user experience filters down to,
> and influences, _everything_.  If it doesn't, then we've got a huge
> problem.
>
> Dan

"Effective designs should empower users and create a greater sense of
control, mastery, predictability, and clarity." --Ben Shneiderman.

Ben is one of the world's long-standing gurus of user experience and
human-computer interaction. The quote comes from "Human Values and the
Future of Technology: A Declaration of Empowerment" (his Keynote address
for ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computers and the Quality of Life - Sept
1990).
Kathy &co at Headrush are right on target with their "I Rule!"
characterization of the User Experience.  The low-level bits are how we
get there.

All those low-level bits add up -- Just enough to get it done right --
no more, and no less!  More would be bloated, and less would be broken
or "simplistic" (as opposed to "simple" and sufficient.)

The real meaning of KISS: Keep It Simple & Sufficient (paraphrasing
Einstein's "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not
simpler.")

That's smart, not stupid.   ;-)

cheers,
--ken