[sugar] Squeak / Etoys RPMs

Christopher Blizzard blizzard
Wed Oct 18 15:56:41 EDT 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> The other issue that came up is that I realized a rather modest little
> application I'd written (HTConsole) turned into an 8Mb activity.  It
> actually is bringing in more dependencies than it needs to, but also a
> lot of libraries (my own included) ship stuff that they don't need to.
> E.g., the Cheetah template language has 420Kb of tests.  My app has
> 300Kb of Javascript.  Paste includes 600Kb that is mostly backported
> stdlib libraries in case you are running on Python 2.3.  I'm not
> entirely sure how to deal with this issue.

One of the reasons why I've been such a huge fan of using a bundles
instead of using one of our classic package managers.  Those dependency
and space issues existed before, but they were well hidden behind your
package manager of choice like skeletons in a closet.  Turns out you are
exposed to the true cost of the decisions you make.  Incentives, eh?

--Chris