[sugar] Squeak / Etoys RPMs

Christopher Blizzard blizzard
Wed Oct 18 15:53:19 EDT 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> This list seems much too short to me.  A central registry of things like
> mime handlers seems important.  Do we allow for scripts to be run when
> the machine starts up?  Or do we allow for just some particular things
> -- for instance, a declaration that the activity should handle certain
> events when they appear on the bus?  Since a bundle implies that more
> than one bundle providing the same (or equivalent) functionality can be
> on the machine at one time, there has to be management above this.  Does
> that management simply detect conflicts, and activate one bundle and not
> the other?  Or does every aspect where activities conflict get managed
> separately?  For instance, you could reasonably want two bundles to both
> get an event.  Or you can ask the user what the do when a certain file
> type has to be handled.

It's short, and that's not entirely unintentional.  Part of design is
coming up with use cases and we're going to discover things over time
that require us to add to the bundle spec.  We know it's going to grow
over time and as we learn between now and production we'll move from
something that's warm to something slushy and then frozen.  That spec is
certainly a start, not the end.

--Chris