[sugar] Squeak / Etoys RPMs

Dan Williams dcbw
Tue Oct 10 13:40:14 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 13:09 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> [...]
> > > for?  We don't have a desktop, so you don't really double-click to open
> > > a random file.
> >
> > You can download some random file.  There has to be resources (whether
> > concrete files or not) *somewhere* on the system.
> >
> > Otherwise we're stuck with the old Apple technique of recording the
> > program responsible for each file in the file itself.  That was lame.
>
> Lets think about this in terms of use-cases.
>
> A child gets a file from somewhere.  It could be off the web, if we
> allow downloads of random stuff off the web.  At least we should allow
> saving pictures and chunks of text or something.  Anyway, when the child
> grabs them, the activity saves them in the _activity's_ piece of the
> data store.  Whether or not they are public is another question.
>
> So how does the child put that picture into something they are writing?
> (first we need to know how the wiki+javascript+wysiwyg editor bits deal
> with pictures)  In any case, the writing bits need access to pictures in
> the child's data store.
>
> This is an interesting question; we can't necessarily allow every
> activity to access the data store of every other activity.  If you've
> marked something "private" and any activity can access that thing, it's
> no longer private because some activity could just pipe the thing over a
> network socket.
>
> So there's likely some sort of explicit action.  The child moves the
> picture onto the "clipboard" on the left side of the screen, and then,
> while in the writing activity, drops it onto the thing they are writing.
> The picture is now "public", but its still in the area of the data store
> which is owned by the web browser activity.  I don't think we really
> should have "disconnected" files, because then you need a file browser
> or something, and we don't have one, nor do we want one.
>
> But here's where file type stuff may be important.  The writing activity
> needs to at least know what sort of thing is being dropped on it.  So we
> likely need some way of identifying files based on their name & magic.
> We probably don't want this duplicated in every activity.
>
> So it's not really a question of having a 'default application' which is
> used to open a specific mime type, it's about letting activities figure
> out what type of file they are getting based on extension and/or magic.
> There are some pretty big security implications with letting activities
> register mime type handlers for which they are responsible.  We get into
> the whole "I'm RealPlayer; do you want me to handle every media type on
> your system and override your current preferences?" dialogs which just
> suck.  We are not going to do that.
>
> I vote we just don't use mime type handlers for opening files.
> Remember, we're not starting from a desktop of discrete files which you
> need to open.  Stuff in the journal will save what activity you last
> worked on something with, and that's how it will know how to get back to

A possible solution to this issue is to lay the pain at the feet of
people who want to use multiple activities.  But anyway:

- We already know that the Activity Bundle spec says the installer can
name the activity bundle directory an arbitrary name.  The installer
somehow assigns a unique ID to the activity bundle.  This ID is
local-system-unique and is only used internally.

- We append the AB spec with the addition of a 'vendor' tag or something

- Only if the 'vendor' and 'service' tag matches some activity already
installed, does the version compare happen and one activity get deleted
or not installed

- If the 'vendor' and 'service' tag combo is different than anything on
the system, the activity gets installed

- The _first_ activity with a unique (vendor, service) tuple is set as
the default activity for that service type

- If you want to change the default activity for a service type, you
must go through some pain, be it some arcane UI bits, or whatever, but
you can

This would seem to work, since it allows more than one 'org.laptop.Chat'
activity, for example, to work with any other activity that implements
the org.laptop.Chat protocol (which in reality is just an Avahi service
announcement with some key/value pairs).

Dan