[sugar] A few more toolbar buttons for AbiWord?

J.M. Maurer uwog
Mon Nov 20 11:26:07 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 11:15 -0500, Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> J.M. Maurer wrote:
> > I still think that abicollab will kick anything else's ass with regards
> > to collaborative editing.. but feel free to reinvent the wheel in
> > javascript :)
>
> I'm trying to reinvent as few wheels as at all possible. The problem is
> that OLPC is a sufficiently different road that many existing wheels are
> too square for it, and we don't want to constantly have to call roadside
> assistance, or risk getting a flat tire.

Hey, the abi devs are for hire to be at your disposal all the time :-P

> (No, I don't know what that means either. My hobby: beat metaphors to
> death. :)
>
> In all seriousness, there are a couple of reasons we're doing collab in
> the notebook. We're only supporting the block-lock model (with timeouts)
> because relying on the mesh to properly transmit n-way every keystroke

That wouldn't be a requirement with abi collab. We can aggregate lots of
strokes (or better, in abi terms: ChangeRecords, thing "patches to the
document") if needed.

> and not run into conflicts with more than 2 people is scary and not a
> good model.

We have that already sorted out for n people. Even with proper
undo/redo.

> Secondly, there are editing modes (e.g. collaborative
> annotation) that simply don't exist in today's word processors, and
> would be non-trivial to graft on. There were others that I have jotted
> down in my notebook somewhere.

Sounds like rather trivial too me. In fact, I'm sure martin can hack
that up within a week (and /me in 2 weeks)

Cheers,
  Marc