[sugar] sugar system font in cairo

Jim Gettys jg
Mon Nov 6 08:44:24 EST 2006

This is the best bet indeed.  Fontconfig lets us change the actual font
used behind the application's back.

For example, it is quite likely we'll move to using the DejaVu font
family, rather than Bitstream Vera.  DejaVu, a direct derivative of
Vera, has much better language coverage.  And who knows what we might
use in a year or two.  We don't want to have to go mucking around
through all the applications to make things match.
                             - Jim

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 13:19 +0100, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Erik Blankinship wrote:
> > I believe there are "approved fonts" for the laptop.  Is this correct?
> >

> I believe Walter and Eben has been experimenting with fonts but this is
> not reflected in the implementation yet.
>
> > I want to display text in a cairo context and would like to use a
> > system font.
>

> Your best bet is to use the generic families, Serif and Sans serif.
>
> Marco
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child