[sugar] ftable issue in csound/sugar

Jim Gettys jg
Mon Nov 6 07:57:49 EST 2006

I suggest you adopt a scheme like that X uses; resources are tagged to
the client and reference counted, and by default are destroyed when the
creating client exits if the ref-count is zero (there is a way to tell
the window system to save a resource after the creating client exits,
primarily for debugging; it is a bit hard to debug programs if the
window with all the evidence of the program's crash vanishes instantly
on crash...
                                Regards,
                                       - Jim

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 15:09 -0500, Jean Pich? wrote:

> Since we have now agreed that the csound server will be running
> univorc.csd from startup as a system deamon, a new issue arises with
> table and instrument numbers. We run the risk of encountering Ftable
> number collisions and instrument number collisions between apps.
>

> For the time being, and as to not get in the way of any instruments
> Barry and Richard  are perhaps preparing, we propose to reserve
> instrument #s from 5000 to 6000  and table #s from 5000 to 6000 for
> the exclusive use of TamTam.
>

> Important:  When your app closes, it is important that it free up its
> tables lest it hog ram when its not in use. We do this by running a
> ftfree instrument (instr 5000)  in univorc.csd when tamtam exits. We
> need to figure out a way to make a general purpose instrument in the
> univorc.csd to kill any tables on exit. If we have time, we will
> propose a solution that everyone can use. For the trime being, it will
> be up to each application to do its house cleaning. We all agree that
> this is NOT a desirable way to do it and it will be changed for
> beta-2.

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child