[sugar] Presence Service DBus API notes on wiki

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Jul 17 11:02:30 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 01:20 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> >> - Buddy
> >>
> >> getProperties()
> >>
> >> Why not getters for each property?
> >>

> > Because latency sucks when you have to get each property.  We found with
> > NetworkManager that if you bundle up the most common properties into one
> > call, things go more smoothly.  Tradeoff of latency versus efficiency
> > here.
> >

> Ok... I'd still prefer separate getters in the python layer.

Yes, this should be quite possible.

> >> getBuddyActivities()
> >>
> >> Buddy seem somewhat redundant here. Also gives the impression the buddy
> >>

> > Right; but notice that there are a _lot_ of similarly named calls for
> > each object.  For example, if the calls weren't verbose, the PS would
> > have a getActivities() call, and the buddy would have a getActivities()
> > call.  Similarly, all three of the PS, Buddy, and Activity objects would
> > each have a getServiceOfType() and a getServices() call.
> >
> > I thought that would be confusing since the only difference between
> > these method calls is the scoping.  Better to show in the method name
> > exactly what's being retrieved.
> >
> Maybe...

Thinking about it, it should be less of a problem in practice than I
initially thought.  I've changed some of the method names to reflect
this; please take a look and comment again if you feel the need.

> >> getBuddyService(type)
> >>
> >>  >Gets one service of a specific type. Only one service of each type may
> >> be offered by each >buddy for each activity. i.e., services are unique
> >> within the scope of both a buddy and an >activity
> >>
> >> I'm a bit confused here. How this is activity scoped?
> >>

> > Activities "contain" services and Buddies.  It's all a bit confusing
> > since this is attempting to provide structure over the mDNS flat service
> > space.
> >

> I see. Yeah, a bit confusing... But I don't think it will be too much of
> a problem in practice.
> >
> >> - Service
> >>
> >> getProperties()
> >> getPublishedValue(key)
> >>
> >> Is there a reason for the incosistent naming?
> >>

> > Well, I thought for a while about this one.  There are two "property
> > lists" here.  The first is the internal service properties, what we
> > might think of as the member variables of the object.  Those are things
> > like address, name, type, domain, etc.  The second are the ones that are
> > retrieved from the DNS TXT record after the service has been resolved.
> >
> > They are distinct, and I didn't want to mix the two together.  I would
> > have liked to use "properties" for the TXT record ones, but I was
> > already using properties for the buddy object.  "Attributes" is too
> > generic, just like properties.  Any other suggestions here?
> >
> Ok, it's not too bad. I think I was confused mostly because I had
> current API in mind.
> > The case for track/untrack is that currently, all service announcements
> > will be delivered to the activity,
> What do you mean with all services here? All services in the activity
> scope? That's what I'd guess reading the API... I mean, we have an
> activity object with serviceAppeared/serviceDisapperead signals. I'd
> expect only the services inside the context of the activity to be
> reported there. Am I missing something?

If you subscribe to PresenceService signals, then you will get
serviceAppeared/Disappeared signals for everything.  If you subscribe to
signals from a _specific_ activity object, then you'll get the signals
for services just within the scope of that activity.  Same for Buddies;
the buddy's appeared/disappeared signals will only fire for services
that buddy provides.

Dan