[sugar] Develop Activity

Alan Kay alan.kay
Tue Dec 19 21:24:32 EST 2006

At 01:23 PM 12/19/2006, Andrew Clunis wrote:
>For the really early years, programming should probably be squeak's
>job. :)

I think of a programming language as partly a UI design and partly as
a semantic design. Different ages of children need different kinds of
things in their UIs, and this includes what a program looks like. I
think of the surface syntax and the appearance of a language as being
derived from (that is, a view of) an abstract syntax that expresses
and connects to the semantics. This allows the possibility of having
a number of surface appearances for different purposes (such as
dealing with the different needs of children at different ages).

OLPC is being set up as a Python machine, not a Squeak machine (and
that is fine with me). If so, then I think a UI for elementary aged
children that allows Logo-like and Etoy-like scripting and "Model T"
control of media objects is very important. Right now Etoys is
serving as this UI and functionality, but it is drawing its view of
scripting from Squeak Smalltalk, not Python. A more ideal direction
and goal would be to think of Python semantics as the eventual
target, and think about what scripting for a 7 year might look like
(it will be different in important respects from the current `Python
conventions).

I'm just trying to nudge things towards thinking about "Children
First!", so that we can gradually get to an environment that is both
rich and explorable by most of the ages of children we are trying to serve.

Cheers,

Alan