[sugar] Develop Activity

Alan Kay alan.kay
Tue Dec 19 11:42:32 EST 2006

Hi Andrew --

I guess I agree with what you say about Python and its structure, but
I was thinking much more about what the children see, not so much the
developers.

Since this is a children's machine, important aspects of it should be
deconstructable, and in terms that are as simple, understandable and
useable as possible. So, if the child "pops the hood" on some
interesting object they've been playing with, they should see (I
claim) a "Model T" version of the properties and behavior rather than
the "fuel injected Ferrari" that might be underneath. And they should
be able to write useful scripts in those terms.

For example, the movie player can be abstracted as the very same kind
of animations that the child can make and script, and the movie
player UI can be constructed in those terms. Much can be done with
such an approach, and the special stuff that is being done wrt movies
(MPEG decoding, file reading, other optimizations) can be left until later.

And, e.g. any objects that have graphic properties can be presented
in as similar ways as possible, regardless of how they were actually
written underneath ...

And, I think that the wrappings and views shown older children can
look more like Python than those suitable for the younger ones ...

Etc.

Cheers,

Alan