[sugar] Develop Activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Tue Dec 19 08:25:51 EST 2006

> I had a terrible, sinful idea here: how about making a directory with
> some contents a discrete document type in the docstore/journal?

This is in fact one of the methods we've been discussing in detail
regarding the need for compatibility with hierarchical systems, and
for a more general means of "grouping" as well.  So far, I think it's
the best option we have.  It would serve its purpose for source trees,
web archives, untarred files, etc.

> Of course, even this method would leave a bunch of unanswered questions:

Indeed it does, and we are thinking about them.  If anyone has good
insight on this idea, please respond to me, or leave some comments in
the discussion pages on the HIG.

> PS. I hope the /journal stuff makes it to the HIG soon!  I'm
> kind of flying blind and guessing wildly at what you folks are
> intending.  Therefore, I take no responsibility if the stuff I wrote
> above is a load of dingos' kidneys.

The Journal is definitely the next topic on my list to tackle.  It
hasn't been specified simply because we haven't quite reached anything
near a specification, but we're working hard on this problem now.  In
the meantime, I'm liking a lot of the ideas that I see around this
discussion.  Keep it up.

- Eben