[sugar] Bundle .info change

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Mon Dec 18 15:19:58 EST 2006

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2006, at 18:53 , Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Couldn't you just support both for a few builds? Like, depending on
>>> the number of arguments, ignore one  argument if two are given. If I
>>> push an updated etoys package now, we'd cut off people who still run
>>> the older sugar.
>>
>> We simply don't have the resources to deal with backward
>> compatibility at this point. Bundle format or activity API will
>> surely break again in the future and it might break in ways that will
>> require more than a one liner to fix. I'm sorry for the incovenience.
>
> What I'm saying is that it would be nice to not break other activities
> with only a few hours notice. I happened to see the mail today, and I
> had time to change my activity right away. But I might as well have
> been away for a while, and whoever updated their machines in that
> period would see broken activities for no good reason.

Well, given the current state of the code, it's hard to plan changes to
give activity authors a few days to update their code. This particular
change happened because of some refactoring I needed to be able to keep
working on the journal UI.

I think this kind of breakage (etoys not starting) in the daily builds
is acceptable. I'm doing what I can to avoid but I don't want to slow
down development because of it. Sugar is in alpha state, it's not yet
the time to pretend fully stable builds everyday.

Clearly if there will be major changes, this will be done more
carefully. But this was only a one liner, trivial change.

Marco