[sugar] Compressed speech for voice overs?

Alan Kay alan.kay
Sun Dec 17 08:56:01 EST 2006

Ivan wrote:
>How is that going to work in terms of translations, and so forth?

Hi Ivan --

I think it will be similar to the problem of text
translations (one for each language), but could
be a little easier. We will supply the English
text of each voice over, so the quick and dirty
approach could be to just have a native speaker
translate on the fly. (Also, we'll supply a
number of these translations done by us ...).

Our initial experiments will be aimed at younger
children who are not likely to read very well in
any language, and who might not have enough adult
or peer help of the right kind.

The voice overs also allow the end-user's
attention to be focused on the action rather than
having to look to the side. For things like
balloon help, etc., we will supply both (and make
it easy to turn on and off, heh heh).

These are tricky, because the VOs will be very
useful early on, and then very annoying, etc. Our
main use will be in various kinds of games and other forms for tutoring.

In any case, we need to find a minimal storage
solution that is high enough quality. (Among the
Squeak codecs, there are some that are very
minimal, but could use higher quality.)

Cheers,

Alan