[sugar] Compressed speech for voice overs?

Alan Kay alan.kay
Sun Dec 17 08:05:15 EST 2006

Hi Folks --

I'm not sure how voice-overs will be used in the general XO UI, but
we are planning to make heavy use of them, especially in the
introductory Etoys projects. Squeak has a variety of speech and other
audio codecs, but the general open source software community might
have better ones (less space, higher quality).

For example, I heard a rumor that ogg might be put on the XO. One of
the ogg codecs might be better for speech than ours. Anyone up on the
current plan here?

Cheers,

Alan