[sugar] default font too big?

Alan Kay alan.kay
Fri Dec 8 22:15:22 EST 2006

Every study I know of shows that children need wider viewing angles
on shapes (which translates to larger font sizes).

Still, I would love to see a study with more normalizations. E.g.
that took into account contrast ratio, pitch, convolution, rate,
persistence, type, etc., of the screen, absolute viewing angles,
angles of regard, and more.

In other words, we (or the Wichita folks) should repeat studies like
this using the very different XO screen with children from a wide
variety of backgrounds. This is a vital set of knowledge that is
needed now. In particular, it is pretty clear informally that the
filter function of this display is quite different, especially on
small images and edge segments. It would be nice to know what this
means in larger scale terms such as readibility of text.

(Background: I did a lot of the original human factors on "nice
screen fonts" at PARC, and was quite surprised by the amount of
influence of sampling frequencies, C/R, viewing angle, filter
function of the display itself, etc., on readability. The best source
on this at that time was Tom Cornsweet's book on how human beings see
things on paper, and he covered most issues except for flicker. We
found very similar results but highly skewed by some of the factors
mentioned above. There are likely better books today (I would hope)
that are focused directly on display viewing.)

Cheers,

Alan