[sugar] default font too big?

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste
Fri Dec 8 12:41:54 EST 2006

Are you inquiring about changing font size just for your development purposes
or in general?  If it is just to make things more comfortable for youself,
I'm not sure how you would adjust those settings.

However, if you are talking about the general interface, remember that
children are going to be using these interfaces, not adults.  When reading
text on a screen, children prefer larger, sans-serif fonts.

The usability lab at Wichita has done a lot of research on reading text on
screen,  here is one study in particular as a reference:
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/3W/fontJR.htm

On Friday 08 December 2006 10:55, Owen Williams wrote:
> I've spent a week with my btest-1, and I've found that the default font
> size is unnecessarily big.  I've found myself going through my own
> applications and changing the font settings to "small" and "x-small" to
> make the text fit comfortably on the screen.  I'm not someone who uses
> teeny tiny fonts, either.  I don't know exactly what those attributes
> translate to in actual size, but it seems to me that the default font
> could be reduced to 66-75% of its current size and still remain totally
> legible in English.
>
> (what's the best way to experiment with this?  change the gtk theme or
> xorg.conf? I've been using the font control panel in GNOME for so long I
> don't know where it's actually making changes)
>
> Owen

Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project
usability.kde.org