[sugar] new activity for everyone: Sonata mpd client

Owen Williams owen
Sun Dec 3 22:26:04 EST 2006

Thanks to planet GNOME I discovered musicpd, which is a client/server
architecture for playing music on a centralized server.  The idea is
that you have a headless box connected to your stereo, and then various
clients that can connect to it and tell it what to play.  Clients can
connect and disconnect at will without interrupting the music, and
there's great support for authentication (can a client just view the
list, or can they also add songs? etc).

One of the many many mpd clients is Sonata, which is python-based.  So I
ported it to olpc :).  Now I can pass the laptop around and have people
screw with the playlist

Also, here's the diff between the original sonata software and what I
had to do to get it to work.  Not much at all.

owen