[sugar] Fwd: HCIL Service Grant

Ken Ritchie ken.ritchie at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 19:14:32 EST 2006

The HCIL folks are wonderful, and they have a great track record! It
would be fascinating to invite them delve into some aspect of SUGAR or
OLPC usability...if they aren't already in the OLPC loop.

The HCIL (Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/ was founded in 1983 by Ben Shneiderman, at
the University of Maryland at College Park. Hanging out with Ben & the
HCIL community was always a rewarding, enriching experience. I've missed
that...since I moved to Georgia.

*Especially OLPC-relevant...*
Check Allison Druin's "CHIkids" page,
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~allisond/chikids.html
and a recent HCIL project,
"Children as Design Partners" (ages 7-11)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/kiddesign/

FYI: Kent Norman literally "wrote the book" (the first one) on menus...
/"The Psychology of Menu Selection: Designing Cognitive Control at the
Human/Computer Interface,"/
<http://lap.umd.edu/pomsFolder/pomsHome.html> (1991)

cheers,
--ken ritchie (atlanta)

Making technology for kids without working directly with them,
"is like making clothes for someone you don’t know the size of."
--Thomas [http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/kiddesign/]

___