[sugar] patch - build abiword with sugar-jhbuild

msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au msevior
Wed Aug 9 08:03:04 EDT 2006

> Robert Staudinger wrote:
>> On 8/7/06, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> So how well does it work in the sugar environment?  If at all?
>>
>> The branch has an initial patch from Erik but that's more about
>> setting up internals.
>> It currently looks like that:
>> http://www.abisource.com/~robsta/tmp/sugar-abi-running.png
>>
>> There surely is loads of work to be done. E.g. we need to figure out
>> how quitting an activity works.
>>
>> - Rob
>
> Nice, no menus or anything.  Would be great to see that hooked up to the
> presence stuff so that you could collaborate with others.  We have a
> decent framework for that.
>
> There's also the cool Journal stuff that Bryan and Seth both designed
> and we're working through.  It would be neat if we could see this hooked
> up with that as one of our first tests.

Very interesting indeed. Our peer-to-peer collaboration feature is shaping
up very nicely. We would like to (eventually) integrate this to the olpc
avhai peer detection system.

The idea is that the child hits the collaboartion button and sees a list
of his friends on the network he can collaborate with.

>From our perspectie it is actually easier if there were a C-based API that
gives this. From my brief snoops through the sugar codebase I see that all
the peer-to-peer stuff is in python. Are there any plan ot provide  C (or
C++) wrapper for that?

I'll look at the jounraling stuff with interest. We have two options. One
to write the document to disk upon focus change or to actually record each
operation on the document model to a journal file. Playing these back
restores the document. This also makes use of the collaboration code.

On disk document storage is pretty efficient if we write gzipped abiword
format. A 9 page document with no images and mild formatting is about 12
KB

Martin