[sugar] Emulating the laptop display with Xephyr

Behdad Esfahbod besfahbo
Wed Aug 2 13:51:39 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 15:44 +0200, Manu Cornet wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> [Reposting from devel at laptop.org, on Marco's request :-) ]
>
> It seems necessary to emulate the laptop's display and the DCON chip's
> special features (color swizzling, antialiasing) while designing
> Sugar, in order to keep an eye on what things will actually look like,
> and address problems such as small graphic elements (small fonts, thin
> lines).

You should try some filtering (I want to try it out myself but that may
not happen this week or next).  The idea is to use a convolution filter
to distribute the energy among the neighboring pixels that have
different color, such that you don't lose data in the single-channel
pixels.  Try the following for example:

  1 2 3 2 1
  2 4 6 4 2
  3 6 9 6 3     (all divided by 81)
  2 4 6 4 2
  1 2 3 2 1

Check this page out for more details (that's about subpixel text
rendering, but this is quite similar):

  http://www.grc.com/cttech.htm

Note that this technique may be infringing some patents owned by Apple.
Needs further investigation if to be used.

behdad

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/