[SoaS] Kernel Panic on EXT4 in SoaS when installing GCC

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sun Jun 27 13:34:16 EDT 2010

Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Peter Lambrechtsen
> <plambrechtsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Sascha Silbe
>> <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-soas at silbe.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Excerpts from Peter Lambrechtsen's message of Sun Jun 27 12:54:13 +0200
>>> 2010:

>>> There are two issues here:
>>> 1. ext4 read errors
>>> 2. the kernel attempting to kill init
>>>
>>> #1 looks like overlay corruption [1], whereas #2 is probably due to the
>>> kernel going crazy on OOM (Out-Of-Memory). Allocating more RAM to the VM
>>> and/or adding swap might help with #2.
>>>
>> It was a fresh build with nothing in the Journal using:
>> ./livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 200 --home-size-mb 200 --delete-home
>> --unencrypted-home /dev/live /dev/sda1
>>
>> The VM has 1GB of ram, but no swap, i'll try adding swap and ram and see how
>> I go.

Note :

1-) Problem is that livinst (Anconda) produces an 8 GB USB install with
no firstboot resulting in a VM with no way to login.
root does not work either as a login.

 - it ends up with gdm "other" login?

I informed sdz of this on #sugar-meeting

*-Note with soas.spin the Anaconda screen is located and obscured behind
the sugar-terminal screen. You have to exit terminal to see it.

***See testing results:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Features/Soas_V4/Install_Test_Table#Test_results

*-This happened with both a USB install and with a booted CD to a 2nd 8
GB USB
-soas-i386-20100623.16. from a USB-script created USB)
-soas-x86_64-20100625.15.CD using a CD

2-) Re:
attaching the ISO to the
virtual CD drive, boot the VM using the CD drive:

VMworkstation 6.5.3 build-185404:  (Ubuntu 9.04)
liveinst on  soas-i386-20100625.15.iso (latest)
--- it crashed sugar - tried 3 different memory settings 256/1024/1616
--- zyx-liveinstaller (yum install zyx-liveinstaller) also crashes in
similar manner.

Oracle Virtualbox (f12):
 liveinst on soas-i386-20100625.15.iso (latest)
--Install proceeded normally. (needed to reinitialize disk)
--no firstboot resulting in a VM with no way to login. root does not
work either as a login.

*-Note with this soas.spin the Anaconda screen is located and obscured
behind the sugar-terminal screen. You have to exit terminal to see it.

There is definitively something wrong with Anaconda/firstboot/gdm setup
here.
Not a Usable install at the moment.

Tom Gilliard
satellit