[SoaS] Kernel Panic on EXT4 in SoaS when installing GCC

Peter Lambrechtsen plambrechtsen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 08:39:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Sascha Silbe <
sascha-ml-ui-sugar-soas at silbe.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Peter Lambrechtsen's message of Sun Jun 27 12:54:13 +0200
> 2010:
>
> > As soon as it's finished installing the gcc-common update, I get a Kernel
> > Panic in EXT4.
> There are two issues here:
> 1. ext4 read errors
> 2. the kernel attempting to kill init
>
> #1 looks like overlay corruption [1], whereas #2 is probably due to the
> kernel going crazy on OOM (Out-Of-Memory). Allocating more RAM to the VM
> and/or adding swap might help with #2.

It was a fresh build with nothing in the Journal using:
./livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 200 --home-size-mb 200 --delete-home
--unencrypted-home /dev/live /dev/sda1

The VM has 1GB of ram, but no swap, i'll try adding swap and ram and see how
I go.