[SoaS] Sugar on a Stick Meeting on Monday at 1900 UTC

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 17:48:16 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm going to have to miss today's meeting, but as an update on my task
> >> from last week: http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1798#comment:22
> >

> > See this comment added to
> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1798#comment:23 :
> >
> > School-based deployments may want to take advantage of the persistent
> /home/
> > directory installation instead of the persistent OS overlay. The
> persistent
> > home folder is not a write-once, ever-diminishing storage space.
> >
> > For consistency and stability reasons, the school may want to leave out
> the
> > persistent OS overlay (using a temporary overlay on each boot) and just
> use
> > the persistent /home/ directories to save the Learners' Journals and
> > settings.
> >
> > If a school-wide system change were desired, the Sticks could be upgraded
> > with a simple exchange of the /LiveOS/squashfs.img file in the base file
> > system of each device or stick, perhaps, even triggered by the School
> > Server.

{...}

if the size of the image changes
> dramatically, are there any issues regarding how space may have been
> allocated?

Yes, I imagine that if all free space were allocated to the home.img file
and a new, larger squashfs.img needed to fit on the disc, it would fail.

> {...}

> > storage space optimization is discussed on this
> > page,  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/LiveOS_image.

On that page, there are some reasons suggested for leaving some free space
outside of the LiveOS installation.

So some planning may pay off.           --Fred