[SoaS] Activity inclusion for SoaS-4

pbrobinson at gmail.com pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 17:16:41 EDT 2010

Hi SoaS people,

So the current Sugar Activity list for SoaS-4 stands as follows with
the justifications as to why they're included.

The basic idea is to include the core Sucrose/Fructose Activity list
(as long as they are actively maintained and work) and then a small
selection of Activities that are well supported and demonstrate the
features of the Sugar Learning platform such as the collaboration side
of it to contribute towards the K-6 side of SoaS's targets.

So the core sugar Fructose activities [1] list is:
Browse
Chat
EToys
Log
Pippy
Read
Terminal
TurtleArt
Write

These ones are also on the Fructose list but I'm not sure of their
status so we need to be convinced of their status:
Calculate
Image/ImageViewer
Jukebox

To the Fructose list we're adding:
Physics - Because this is a great demo example (quick demo).
Record - Because its useful and kids tend to like recording/photoing stuff.
xoirc - Because this helps us help them.
paint - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
memorize - K-6 and enjoyed by kids
speak - Good for voice demos

So the current planned inclusion list is as follows:
Browse
Chat
EToys
Log
Pippy
Read
Terminal
TurtleArt
Write
Physics
Record
xoirc
paint
memorize
speak

That currently gives us a list of 15 Activities. Its obviously not the
final list and I look forward to suggestions. Its not guaranteed the
above list remain the same. For example Read still does not work. And
we're not aiming to get to the same level of previous releases, its
currently not maintainable with the current SoaS resources.

Things to note are that the Activities need to be working, well
maintained, packaged in Fedora to be considered. To be in Fedora they
can't contain any binary blobs (if they have code that needs to be
compiled, that's fine but it must be done as per Fedora packaging
guidelines).

Regards.
Peter

Note, please forward this if you think its important to other lists
but the discussion will happen on the SoaS list.

[1] http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/fructose/