[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS 2 problems

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Jan 24 11:57:56 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 15:31 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:

> liveinst is the official Fedora tool. Its part of anaconda.
[...]
> dd or rawwrite isn't exactly what I would class as easy to use for the
> average user.
[...]
> That's the advantage of liveinst. Boot the live CD/Key and it deals
> with all of that. As long as the key is large enough for the contents
> of the livecd it will then expand out the filesystem to fill the
> install destination as part of the procedure.
[...]
> That's much better than reinventing the wheel.

I agree, but there's a "bootstrap" problem: people who want to crete a
bootable USB image for the first time do not have access to liveinst,
yet.

How should the initial SoaS image be distributed? The ISO is one
possibility, but it forces users to burn a CD-ROM and boot it only once
in order to create the USB stick. Sounds dumb.

Moreover, CD-ROMs and seem to be fading away very quickly. My new laptop
doesn't have a CD burner, and I'm not planning to carry around an
external unit.