[SoaS] The boot helper CDs will be a maintainability issue

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Mon Oct 19 10:03:48 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>wrote:

> Sean DALY wrote:
>
>> Could this be solved by branding, linking a boot helper to a SoaS
>> version? Strawberry helper, Blueberry helper?
>>

> Yes, I'd agree here! Since that's how they were intended. We originally
> didn't release boot helpers with each snapshot, since those are snapshots
> for a reason. On the other hand, updates for Sugar on a Stick (v1) had, when
> being mentioned, a huge warning sign.
>
> That's not because we wouldn't want people to try it out, but because it's
> just a support hell. There's even been a blueprint in Launchpad, but I'm not
> sure whether this will happen for v2:
>
> https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/soas/+spec/distribution-updates
>
> So to be clear: Updating via yum is not the recommended way of moving to
> another release (which is also the way since we had originally some forked
> packages from Fedora).
>
> If I recall correctly, you could type yum update on your XO, but this
> wouldn't necessarily move you to the next OLPC software release.
>
> Anyway, finding good ways of updating SoaS / the base system / the
> activities is a good thing to discuss. Anybody up for another lengthy
> discussion here? ;)

I think we are going to try to update by backing up the XS, collecting the
sticks, reburning, reassociating the user with their XS account.  Haven't
tested it yet but that plan seems to have the most promise and least effort.

We will need to change all the CDs at the same time.  We will need to send
home new CDs and communicate they need to throw the old one out.

Effort, but should not be impossible.

Any  thoughts on how to make it easier?

--
Caroline Meeks