[SoaS] Blueberry SoaS Mac feedback

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 17:23:25 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Fab, thanks. Just given it a quick run though and it's booting fine here in a VM on the Mac. Some quick notes (not aimed at you Wade, just of use to other that may try this route):
>
> - Sound quality is more than a little crusty, but I think that is already a known distro issue.

I managed to fix it in my F11 VM by tweaking a config file.  I'll see
if the same fix applies to the VM.

> - Default collaboration server is set to jabber.sugarlabs.org, but not sure how maintained it is, or what version it is running. The neighbourhood shows many buddies with identical colours to me, indicating something is broken (your owner colours are used by default on icons that are not getting the correct colour information).

Is there a better server to use?  I think we would just need to throw
a gconf line in the kickstart file.

> - Without some VM hacking, VirtualBox displays Sugar in an 800x600 window. The interface scales reasonably well, all things considered, but toolbars often have missing widgets, or widgets in drop down overflow menus. Fonts are also very large for an 800x600 view.

Anyone know how to bake in the VirtualBox Guest Tools?  Is there an
RPM I can just add in?  In my experience, they have to be compiled
locally against whatever kernel you're running.

> So, it is usable and testable for Sugar geeks/hackers with Macs, but I'd not recommend it for real use by children as is.

Yeah, definitely.  I'll keep working on it though and hopefully these
issues can be resolved.

-Wade