[Marketing] The End of Sugar (thought exercise)

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jun 23 20:53:11 EDT 2016

On 23 June 2016 at 08:21, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess I have a different vision of Sugar than you. I am interested in our
> creating a best-of-breed pedagogical framework

Is Sugar Desktop already a best-of-breed pedagogical framework already?

> that hopefully will see wide dissemination in schools,

What kinds of various approaches to dissemination are there?

> but also will show the way forward for the ed tech
> community as a whole, which I think tends to focus on market share more than
> learning outcomes.

How do you distinguish 'wide dissemination' from 'market share'?

(I guess you mean they focus more on profit than on learning outcomes :)

> What I would like from marketing is some mechanism for
> highlighting the powerful ideas in Sugar that seem to be lacking in most
> other systems so that even if a school decides to go with a different
> product/project, they put pressure on that project to provide tools, not
> apps, collaboration, transparency, self reflection and group critique, and
> responsibility on the shoulders of students and teachers to shape their own
> world.

I can do that - I think that's good content for the homepage :)

https://github.com/sugarlabs/www-sugarlabs/commit/db8a782ec147e3ed3beeab8173a0a2546127b00d