[Marketing] Fwd: [Tie2010] The death of Baby Einstein

Caroline Meeks cem955 at mail.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 25 20:55:48 EDT 2009

Another reason not to over promise.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elizabeth Weinbloom <liz.weinbloom at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 9:03 AM
Subject: [Tie2010] The death of Baby Einstein
To: "tie2010 at list.gse.harvard.edu" <Tie2010 at list.gse.harvard.edu>

Parent alert: the Walt Disney Company is now offering refunds for all those
“Baby Einstein” videos that did not make children into geniuses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/24/education/24baby.html?_r=1&em

I certainly didn't expect this!  I wonder / hope this means the death of the
Baby/Little Einstein brand.  This brand is my second biggest pet peeve in
all of preschool media (#1 pet peeve: Dora's terrifying zombie eyes), and
even if the victory was achieved by the slightly-nutty Campaign for a
Commercial-Free Childhood, it still strikes one for the good guys.

If anyone feels differently, I'd be interested to hear why!  If for some
reason anyone wants to hear me rant at length about the absurdity of
Baby/Little Einsteins, see this blog
post.<http://sometimeslizwrites.blogspot.com/2009/04/little-einsteins-or-decline-of.html>

Campaigning for a Crap-free Childhood,
-Liz-