[Marketing] [SoaS] [IAEP][DP] Announcing the creation of a SoaS Decision Panel

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Oct 2 19:11:52 EDT 2009

Sean DALY wrote:
> Although it's probable a "Fedora Sugar Spin" would generate press and
> lead to downloads, in my view it would be catastrophic to launch that
> at the same time as Sugar on a Stick. It would just create confusion.
> A separate launch is certainly worth discussing, but I'm interested to
> know what the target would be - geeks? more likely than teachers, no?
> In that scenario it would be an effective developer recruitment
> effort. But beyond the absolute numbers of downloads, what interests
> me is the trend - the graphs I saw from Bernie and David showed big
> spikes after the Strawberry launch and steady uphill growth every week
> since then. I'm afraid we did manage to stress the server at launch,
> we were lucky the Chinese sites didn't link to us in their articles.
> Marten has been busy organizing mirrors. When I have an
> advertising/promotion budget beyond my pocket, I will be able to
> coordinate very effective ads in teacher monthlies, and that will
> generate press where it matters most (and where Sugar has hardly any,
> and Fedora likely none at all).

This brings us to an interesting point. Yes, it would probably cause
confusion. That's why we decided at FOSDEM in Brussels this year to
withdraw the Fedora Sugar Spin (which had been on its way to production
then), in favor of Sugar on a Stick [1].

That makes sense so far, right?

But what's being discussed now will come down to result in exactly the
opposite of that. I've been asking before what sense it would make for a
distribution to build a solution, in fact a fork, inside SL, when it
wouldn't be able to promote it as such a distribution.

Example: Fedora is currently not able to promote Sugar on a Stick.

But if there were different distros competing for the SoaS brand name,
they would probably still want to provide their users with a solution
based on their system. So a logical reaction would seem to put the work
into the distros (see for example Wade's e-mail, too), and not SL;
whereas the latter one could still pick what it wanted to promote (note:
this is actually what sounds somewhat logical to me, too).

So far so good. But here's the problem:

You won't be able to dictate a distro when it releases it's Sugar
builds. You really won't. So you'd possibly have a Fedora Sugar Spin
(possibly released by Peter, me, or whomever), as well as other $DISTRO
Sugar LiveUSB / Spin / Remix builds. And those releases could basically
happen all the time.

As you said, that causes confusion. Which is why I've been preaching
that the underlying distro is *entirely* irrelevant, but happens to be
Fedora - mostly for historical reasons.

Whether this is still valid depends on the DP's decisions, I guess...

--Sebastian

[1]
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-spins/2009-February/000444.html