No subject

Sun May 31 08:28:51 EDT 2009

they wouldn't want to add Sugar as value add. In case of Rwanda
this would fit perfectly with XO rollout-Laptops and Desktops all
running Sugar. You would think this is something we could leverage
especially with Africa OLPC Corps just about to kick-off.

>The first pilot project was completed in Burkina Faso=2C with additional
projects spanning >Rwanda=2C Senegal=2C and Tanzania scheduled for 2009.
These projects will utilize 1=2C000 >NComputing Linux-based virtual
desktops. NComputing virtual desktops are ideal for the project because
they provide very low-cost computing=2C are simple to ship and install=2C
require almost no maintenance=2C and use only 1 watt of electricity. In
addition to the product donations=2C NComputing will also provide its
logistical and operational expertise with large-scale rollouts.

John Tierney

> Date: Tue=2C 2 Jun 2009 07:57:41 -0400
> From: walter.bender at gmail.com
> To: caroline at solutiongrove.com
> CC: marketing at lists.sugarlabs.org
> Subject: Re: [Marketing] Competitive Landscape: NComputing Partners with =
New	United Nations Program to Provide Computing Access to Schools	in Develo=
ping Nations
>=20
> I know them--I debated their founder/president on the pages of the WSJ
> about 18 months ago. They are a Windows shop--having hired Will Plouff
> from Microsoft a year ago. I'd be shocked if they were to ever
> consider Sugar.
>=20
> -walter
>=20
> On Tue=2C Jun 2=2C 2009 at 7:52 AM=2C Caroline Meeks
> <caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know anyone at NComputing.  Do we know if Sugar is on their
> > radar?
> >
> > On Tue=2C Jun 2=2C 2009 at 6:06 AM=2C Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wr=
ote:

> >> http://www.ncomputing.com/tabid/180/default.aspx?ContentID=3D289
> >>
> >> from the press release:
> >> ***************
> >> NComputing=2C the leading provider of ultra low-cost computing
> >> solutions=2C today announced that it will partner with the United
> >> Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) to bring
> >> computer access to primary and secondary schools in developing
> >> countries around the world. The initiative has strong support from UN
> >> Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon and aims to provide 500=2C000 workstatio=
ns
> >> to schools in developing nations by 2012. The program is being
> >> developed by the UNDESA Global Alliance for ICT Development (GAID).
> >> Dr. Paul Jhin=2C who is leading the initiative=2C will present the det=
ails
> >> of the program to education ministers and other attendees at the
> >> eLearning Africa conference in Dakar=2C Senegal on May 29. Planning
> >> sessions with ministers from African countries will also be held to
> >> discuss additional pilot projects and large-scale deployments. =93The
> >> NComputing virtual desktops give us an important opportunity to
> >> significantly expand computing access and simplify deployment=2C=94 sa=
id
> >> Dr. Jhin. =93This maximizes the use of donated and refurbished compute=
rs
> >> and simplifies deployment and power requirements=2C which are key issu=
es
> >> in many parts of the developing world.=94
> >

> > --
> > Caroline Meeks
> > Solution Grove
> > Caroline at SolutionGrove.com
> >
> > 617-500-3488 - Office
> > 505-213-3268 - Fax

>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org

--_11d41bc0-2e72-4645-adae-aa58ce624f5d_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>

">
.hmmessage P
{margin:0px=3Bpadding:0px=3B}
body.hmmessage
{font-size:10pt=3Bfont-family:Verdana=3B}