[Marketing] [IAEP] [SoaS] Important Schedule Changes - Please Read!

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Tue May 26 19:01:44 EDT 2009

My main concerns are 1) contradicting our press releases and
journalist briefings (confusion is bad), 2) implying that SoaS is
classroom-ready (we're not there yet, we need teachers to pilot and
send feedback).

Simon - actually for me the SoaS timetable has always been linked to
the Fedora timetable... but SoaS v1 on F12 not F11... to give
ourselves time to test hardware (transmitting info to Fedora) and thus
flesh out a list of confirmed working machines, and to build up
related support (website, feedback handling, marketing materials for a
major press launch).

The goal behind "beta-1", "beta-2" (or "RC" which is better), "v1" is
to use instantly understandable numbering for nontech observers and
prospective Sugar deployers (teachers, parents, journalists),
benefiting from a grace period during "beta" phase (you've noticed no
journalists knocking it... yet) and working up to v1 in an announced
timeframe (when journalists will feel free to knock it, but we will be
better prepared too). Numbering successive versions with the "F-11"
formula is a good approach I think.

The SoaS strategy is I think the right one for getting Sugar into classrooms.

Sean